Wednesday, May 09, 2007

listening to: standing in the way of control


i finally found it.
the theme i heard in the skins promos.

The group's hit song "Standing in the Way of Control" was written by Ditto as a response to the United States government’s decision to deny gay people the right to marriage. “Nobody in the States was that surprised or shocked by what Bush did, but it made everyone I know feel helpless and cheated,” she has said. “I wrote the chorus to try and encourage people not to give up. It’s a scary time for civil rights, but I really believe the only way to survive is to stick together and keep fighting.”
source:wiki.

so i did a little research on this indie rock band called The Gossip right, and found some interesting facts (well at least to me).

the woman i've seen in ONTD in several posts.

the lead vocalist of the band, Beth Ditto:
topped NME's cool list in 2006;
she's got like an interesting portfolio.
grew up in a bible-town in Arkansas where she was bullied for her weight and sexual orientation;
advocates gay rights;
her boyfriend was born a woman but transgendered and identifies as a man;
blasted kate moss and refused to play in Topshop because they didnt carry plus sized clothes;
she doesnt shave or wear deodorant because "punks usually stink".



coolios make me look bad because I conform.
this is what im talking about when i say alternative
.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home